As entries open for Mumbrella’s 2020 Publish Awards, NPN takes a look at last year’s niche publishing winners, breaking down the anatomy of a winning submission.
Mumbrella’s Publish Awards recognise the best work in small and large B2C, B2B, and custom publishing across Australia and New Zealand, and Mumbrella says that there has never been a more important time than now to participate.
Head of Content Damien Francis notes “There has been significant feedback from the industry that these awards are ones they wish to see go ahead this year. They’re important to an industry that is in tough times but has still been producing world-beating work.”
Need some motivation? Let’s take a look at the 2019 niche magazine winners
Niche publishing winners in 2019 included the Robb Report, Mahlab Media’s Engineers Australia (Create) B2B magazine, the Law Society of NSW Journal, Paragon Media’s Daily Cargo News, and Missprint Media’s Kookie Magazine.
The Niche Publishing Network interviewed Paragon Media and Missprint Media about their wins, breaking down the anatomy of their award-winning publications. You can view their interviews here:
- Paragon Media, Daily Cargo News – 2019 Mumbrella Publishing Awards winner – Launch/relaunch of the year – small
- Missprint Media, Kookie Magazine – 2019 Mumbrella Publishing Awards winner – Consumer publication of the year – small.
Mumbrella 2020 Publish Awards details
Now in its 24th year, the 2020 awards will be held entirely online, with this year’s entry fee lowered by $100 to support the publishing industry as it overcomes the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. The criteria for submitting hard copies of work have also been updated to help those that may find it difficult at this time.
Free entry is available to those whose positions have been made redundant due to COVID-19.
Submissions can be made over 29 categories:
- Magazine Cover of the Year – Business
- Magazine Cover of the Year – Consumer/Custom
- Designer of the Year
- Best Use of Video
- Best Podcast
- Single Article of the Year
- Newsletter of the Year
- Event of the Year
- Special Edition of the Year
- Launch/Relaunch of the Year
- Young Writer of the Year (30 or under)
- Journalist of the Year – Small/Large
- Columnist of the Year
- Editor of the Year – Business
- Editor of the Year – Consumer/Custom
- Salesperson/Team of the Year
- Publish Leader of the Year
- Publish Award for Innovation
- Brand of the Year
- Branded Content Studio of the Year
- Website of the Year – Business
- Website of the Year – Consumer/Custom
- Association or Member Organisation Publication of the Year
- Business Publication of the Year
- Custom Publication of the Year
- Consumer Publication of the Year – Small/Large
- Publishing Company of the Year – Small/Large
- Best Publisher-Led Advertising Campaign
- Best Response to COVID-19
Note that some categories are split between ‘small’ and ‘large’. This refers to the size of the submitting company, not their publication. Companies with 50 full-time employees or less are classified as small for the purposes of these awards.
The first entry deadline for the 2020 awards is 14 August 2020, at a cost of $250+GST.
The awards will be presented online on 5 November 2020.
For more information on how to enter, visit the Mumbrella Publish Awards website.